Ports, Customs & Free Zone Corporation (PCFC) /Dubai World recognizes the need for imparting more safety awareness to all clients and port users utilizing PCFC/Dubai World premises towards safe transportation of cargo by Road Vehicle to safeguard the general public and people at work. Due to the fact that improper and careless packing or loading of goods into vehicles or lack of blocking, bracing and securing, may be the cause of accident when they are handled and transported. EHS has initiated efforts to control unsafe conditions and unsafe acts at source to accomplish safe & environmentally sound working atmosphere.
The person who packs goods and secures them in the container or vehicle for transportation may be the last person to look inside the unit before it is opened by the consignee at its final destination. Consequently, a number of people will rely on his skill, including:
– Road vehicle drivers and other highway users when the unit moves by road.
– Dock workers when the unit is loaded or discharged.
– Personnel unpacking the unit.
All persons mentioned above may be at risk from a poorly packed cargo or container or vehicle, in particular one which is carrying dangerous goods. Hence you are hereby instructed to adhere to the following EHS requirements with immediate effect.
“Code of Practice for the Management of Dangerous Goods in the Emirates of Dubai”, and Relevant Technical Guidelines issued by Dubai Municipality must be implemented by any person transporting Hazardous and Non Hazardous goods by any means in or into Dubai.
– Ensure that the cargoes to be transported are properly secured and safe for transportation at the loading point. Trading companies shall be responsible for incidents/accidents which occur during transport due to failure to follow safe securing, packing or loading.
– It must be ensured that packaging, in every way, is compatible with the articles or substances to be contained with them.
– Ensure that tires have been properly inspected for inflation, damage and wear before loading.
Distribute loads evenly and securely. Cargo weight shall not exceed the maximum allowable capacity of the vehicle and no overloading shall be allowed
– All drivers of vehicles transporting hazardous goods shall be given Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) or equivalent from the generator which should mention in particular any appropriate instructions about the nature and dangers of the load being carried and the hazards involved with any spills, personal exposure, and emergency procedures.
– Ensure that service provider has valid permit for collecting waste.
– Recycling company rent a vehicle should have a letter stating that the vehicle is rented for such purpose.
– The stacking height of the cargo shall not exceed the top side of the loading area enclosure or side enclosure as applicable.
– All the drivers must strictly follow safe driving practices and adhere to speed limits while driving within the jurisdiction of PCFC.
– Cargoes extending out of the vehicle, in particular, transportation of heavy equipment’s shall install a warning flag/sign at extended part conspicuously.
– Using a cellular telephone is one of the many distractions a driver faces, hence this practice should be avoided while driving
– PCFC authority shall stop vehicles at any time if any transport violation is observed within the PCFC premises and subsequently the matter shall be handed over to the Dubai Police for legal action.
– No trailer shall be used for the conveyance of dangerous goods in ISO containers except those with properly equipped twist locks.
– Drivers shall not, without reasonable cause, leave any road vehicle carrying radioactive yellow category II or yellow category III packages unattended in a public place and shall not park not more than one hour in any place unless there is a clear space of at least 2m around the vehicle and this clear space shall not be occupied by people.
– The cylinders shall be transported in vertical position in the trucks as per capacity prescribed. Larger cylinders shall be kept in position by tying ropes or chains to prevent from falling.
– All valves and pipe fittings on the tankers shall be of high standard and in perfect condition to avoid spillage on the roads
– All appropriate measures must be taken to prevent spillage of any loose cargoes from the vehicle.
– All PCFC /Dubai World clients and Port users are advised to comply with the above requirements.
Non- compliance with the above will result in appropriate actions against violators.